- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
Nathan Fenno looks in on the Georgetown Hoyas and collegiate sports.
Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers sued the NFL over concussions Monday, the same day the proposed $765 million settlement in the case was filed in federal court.
Since September, the NCAA has been targeted by nine class-action lawsuits by former football players over the organization's handling of concussions. The latest came Tuesday from two ex-Missouri players and a former Alabama running back.
Last month's mediation session between the NCAA and plaintiffs' lawyers in a long-running concussion lawsuit was "productive" and another session is on the way, according to court documents.
Congress wants answers about how the NCAA handles concussions. Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.) wrote NCAA president Mark Emmert on Tuesday after learning about the August 2011 death of Frostburg State football player Derek Sheely from brain injury.
Attorneys for two Frostburg State football coaches and an athletic trainer filed a motion to dismiss the wrongful death lawsuit by the family of Derek Sheely, the fullback who sustained a fatal head injury during practice in August 2011.
The widow of Baltimore Colts legend and Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end John Mackey has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the NFL. Sylvia Mackey is part of a complaint filed last week in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana and obtained by The Washington Times.
Details of the proposed $765 million settlement to end the NFL concussion litigation will be filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia in the next 10 days, according to an attorney for the plaintiffs. Sol Weiss, the co-lead counsel, provided more specifics on the mechanics of the settlement than have previously been made public in an interview with The Washington Times.
The NFL and more than 4,500 former players suing over head injuries reached a settlement Thursday, according to federal court records. The settlement amount is $765 million, as identified in the order from Judge Anita Brody in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.
Last week, the family of late Frostburg State football player Derek Sheely sued the NCAA, two of the university's coaches and others after he sustained a fatal brain injury during practice in August 2011. Here's a copy of the complaint filed in Montgomery County Circuit Court that alleges a disturbing series of events leading to Sheely's death.
The long-running lawsuit accusing the NCAA of not doing enough to protect athletes against head injuries has been stayed pending mediation and settlement discussions, according to federal court records.
The trial of the alleged gunman in the killing of Redskins star Sean Taylor has been postponed again. Originally scheduled to begin Aug. 12 in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, Eric Rivera's trial has been rescheduled for Sept. 16.
In Tuesday's column, I mentioned the NCAA's requirement for each school to have a concussion management plan on file. Those plans are a key theme in the over 1,000 pages of internal NCAA emails and documents released last week in connection with a lawsuit accusing the organization of not doing enough about head injuries. Having a plan on file is the NCAA's lone legislative demand of schools regarding concussions.
Among last week's federal court filings in a lawsuit accusing the NCAA of not doing enough to protect athletes from head injuries is a 213-page report from Dr. Robert Cantu.
Back in 2010, two NCAA staffers exchanged a series of emails mocking the concussion safety efforts of David Klossner, the organization's director of health and safety. The emails are part of hundreds of pages of internal NCAA documents and depositions filed in federal court late Friday, as part of a motion seeking class-action status for a lawsuit challenging the organization's handling of head injuries.
Six current NCAA football players joined Ed O'Bannon's long-running antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA late Thursday.
Screen Play Archives
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business