- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Gray appoints D.C. Taxicab Commission chairman
Question of the Day
D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray on Wednesday appointed an urban planner with decades of experience in the capital region to take over the embattled D.C. Taxicab Commission.
Ron Linton said his tenure will be governed by what is “fair and reasonable” for cab drivers and riders.
His experience includes work on the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, including service as chairman from 1992 to 1994, and work on the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority from 1996 to 2000.
The arrest of two reporters at a recent commission meeting raised questions about the agency’s transparency. In addition, the D.C. Council is considering a controversial medallion system for cabs that would significantly change their licensing structure.
Many cab drivers say the system would allow only a few companies to buy up the licenses and monopolize the city’s fleet.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- New Democratic caucus will pressure GOP governors to expand Medicaid
- Contrasting judgments on Obama's health care hours apart; appeals court calls subsidies unlawful
- Insurers cough up refunds to subscribers under Obamacare ‘80-20 rule’
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye ’16 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq