- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Afghan policeman kills 10 fellow policemen
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A member of the Afghan National Police opened fire at his colleagues at a checkpoint in southwestern Afghanistan on Saturday, killing 11 of his fellow policemen, officials said.
The killings come a day after two Afghans, including a policeman, shot and killed six U.S. service members in separate attacks in neighboring Helmand province in the volatile south.
Afghan attacks on their international partners are on the rise and have heightened mistrust between foreign forces and the Afghan soldiers, police and others they are training and mentoring. Cases where members of the Afghan security forces kill within their own ranks are rare, but have been reported in the past.
Shakila Hakimi, a member of the Nimroz provincial council, said the policeman is believed to have links to militants. He opened fire on his colleagues in Dilaram district.
The policeman was killed in an ensuing gunbattle, she said in a telephone call from the provincial capital of Zaranj, along Afghanistan’s western border with Iran.
“The checkpoint is in a remote area of a remote district,” Hakimi said. “The telecommunications are poor and we are not able to get more details.”
Hakimi said the provincial governor has sent a team to the scene to get more details about what happened.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.