- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Redskins’ Chris Neild tears ACL, out for season
Nose tackle Chris Neild was a fixture for the Washington Redskins during his rookie season, but this training camp was a battle for him just to make the team. With Chris Baker excelling, the pressure was on Neild to earn a spot behind starter Barry Cofield.
Neild won’t have the chance to do that after tearing the ACL in his left knee during Monday’s practice. He’s out for the season.
“It’s always disappointing when there’s a season-ending injury for any player on your football team. You hate it for them, you hate it for the team, but we know these things are going to occur,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “You’re hoping that they don’t happen too often, especially to the guys that were on your football team the year before. Chris is a fighter, and this is just a temporary setback for him.”
Neild, 24, wasn’t a lock to make the roster even though he appeared in all 16 regular-season games in 2011. He had 10 tackles and two sacks.
Neild’s meniscus was in tact and it was just a torn ACL, which usually requires a six-month recovery time, Shanahan said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014