- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Redskins’ Chris Neild tears ACL, out for season
Question of the Day
Nose tackle Chris Neild was a fixture for the Washington Redskins during his rookie season, but this training camp was a battle for him just to make the team. With Chris Baker excelling, the pressure was on Neild to earn a spot behind starter Barry Cofield.
Neild won’t have the chance to do that after tearing the ACL in his left knee during Monday’s practice. He’s out for the season.
“It’s always disappointing when there’s a season-ending injury for any player on your football team. You hate it for them, you hate it for the team, but we know these things are going to occur,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “You’re hoping that they don’t happen too often, especially to the guys that were on your football team the year before. Chris is a fighter, and this is just a temporary setback for him.”
Neild, 24, wasn’t a lock to make the roster even though he appeared in all 16 regular-season games in 2011. He had 10 tackles and two sacks.
Neild’s meniscus was in tact and it was just a torn ACL, which usually requires a six-month recovery time, Shanahan said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Donald Sterling trial: Testimony ends as Shelly Sterling doesn't return to stand
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq