- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Resale of the week: Single-family comfort in bustling Ballston
The Ballston area of Arlington may be best known for its restaurants, nightlife, proximity to Metro for easy access to downtown and its many condominium developments. But on the side streets off Glebe Road and Wilson Boulevard are some of the most-sought-after single-family homes in the D.C. area.
Homes in this neighborhood offer a location within walking distance of all that Ballston has to offer along with the ability to enjoy tree-lined streets and nearby parks.
The single-family home at 1213 Vernon St. N., on the market for $1,199,000, may have one of the best locations in Ballston. The Ballston Metro station is a half-mile from the home, Interstate 66 is a few blocks away, and Washington-Lee High School is four blocks away, convenient for families.
While they appreciate the ability to walk to a variety of shops and restaurants as well as to the high school, the owners of this home particularly value the mature trees that provide privacy in their backyard. The myriad windows across the back of this home afford a natural view that is unusual when living within walking distance of a Metro station.
Built in 1998, this home has an asphalt driveway and a manicured front lawn with trees and shrubs framing the house. A covered front portico with a column leads to the front door, which has stained-glass sidelights and a stained-glass transom. The door opens into a two-story foyer with an angled staircase to the upper level, which has a loft overlooking the foyer.
Hardwood flooring extends throughout most of the main level, which has an open floor plan. The living room has crown molding and tall windows framing a view of the trees. The formal dining room has two windows on one side of the room and a double window on the adjacent wall, filling the space with natural light. This room also has crown molding and deep baseboard trim.
The entire back of the house is wrapped in windows. The breakfast area off the kitchen has a triple window with a Palladian window above on one wall and double windows on each of the other two walls. Nearby is a glass door leading to a deck.
The fenced backyard includes a deck with a retractable awning, a flagstone walkway, landscaped garden beds and a lawn nearly encircled by mature trees, a green oasis for peaceful evenings.
Inside, the breakfast area overlooks this green space and is open to the center-island kitchen. The kitchen has ceramic tile flooring, recessed lighting, an abundance of Corian counters and tall wood cabinets. The room also has stainless steel appliances, including a cooktop, double wall ovens, a dishwasher, and a French-door refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. The center island has plenty of space for a breakfast bar as well as cooking preparations.
While one side of the kitchen opens to the breakfast area and shares the view of the green backyard, the other side opens to the family room. The family room has hardwood flooring, a fireplace with a wood mantel and recessed lighting. This room has a triple picture window facing the trees next to the glass door to the deck.
The main level also has a home office or bedroom with a wall of built-in wood cabinets and bookcases, a double window framing a view of the trees, and carpet. Adjacent to this room is a full bath with a shower with glass doors.
Upstairs, the master suite includes a bedroom with a cathedral ceiling and a ceiling fan. Floor-to-ceiling windows in this room create a sense of sleeping among the trees. The luxurious master bath includes a high ceiling, ceramic tile flooring, a dual-sink vanity, a separate shower and a deep soaking tub set a few steps up from the rest of the bath under a double window.
The upper level has two more bedrooms, each with double windows. These two bedrooms share a full bath with a combination shower and tub. The upper-level laundry room includes a front-loading washer and a front-loading dryer.
The finished basement includes a pool table that conveys to the buyer. The carpeted lower level has an alcove perfect for exercise equipment and a kitchenette with a sink, counter space, cabinets and a full-size refrigerator. This level also has a full bath, making the space ideal for guests.
The home has dual-zone heating and air conditioning and a gas water heater.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Eric Cantor rejects latest Obama immigration outreach
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.