- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
Judges admit they goofed on taxpayer-funded Hawaii conference
Under fire from prominent Senate Republicans, the chief judge of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says that, looking back, they probably made a bad decision when they scheduled a judges’ meeting, at taxpayers’ expense, in famously expensive Hawaii.
“In hindsight, had we foreseen the nation’s current fiscal problems, we may have chosen a different site for this year’s conference,” Judge Alex Kozinski wrote Sens. Chuck Grassley and Jeff Sessions.
Judge Kozinsky said the judges have moved to reschedule their 2013 conference to 2014 in order to minimize expenses and said they will try to find cheaper places in future years.
According to contract data the judges turned over to the senators, the conference booked 550 rooms for four nights and 250 rooms for another two nights. Each of those 550-room nights came to more than $125,000.
Judge Kozinsky said that the judges signed their contract for this year’s conference in 2010 in order to lock in a room rate and that canceling it now would lead to “enormous penalties.”
In 2010 the federal government ran its second year of trillion-dollar deficits and is headed for a fourth year in fiscal 2012.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador's visa, but says law is 'advisory'
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.