- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Judges admit they goofed on taxpayer-funded Hawaii conference
Under fire from prominent Senate Republicans, the chief judge of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says that, looking back, they probably made a bad decision when they scheduled a judges' meeting, at taxpayers' expense, in famously expensive Hawaii.
"In hindsight, had we foreseen the nation's current fiscal problems, we may have chosen a different site for this year's conference," Judge Alex Kozinski wrote Sens. Chuck Grassley and Jeff Sessions.
Judge Kozinsky said the judges have moved to reschedule their 2013 conference to 2014 in order to minimize expenses and said they will try to find cheaper places in future years.
According to contract data the judges turned over to the senators, the conference booked 550 rooms for four nights and 250 rooms for another two nights. Each of those 550-room nights came to more than $125,000.
Judge Kozinsky said that the judges signed their contract for this year's conference in 2010 in order to lock in a room rate and that canceling it now would lead to "enormous penalties."
In 2010 the federal government ran its second year of trillion-dollar deficits and is headed for a fourth year in fiscal 2012.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- No comment on petition to deport Bieber
- Red-state Democrats blast latest Keystone delay
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador's visa, but says law is 'advisory'
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Supreme Court seems skeptical of Ohio law to police campaign 'lies'
- Kerry accuses Moscow of fomenting Ukraine unrest
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.