- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Alternative solution to school security
Question of the Day
The tragic school invasion at Sandy Hook Elementary School and other murders across America call for a proactive plan of action to protect our children from continued atrocities.
Some schools are talking of hiring police as guards. Unfortunately, the reality is that a uniformed officer openly carrying a gun would be targeted first in an attack by a gun-wielding monster and very likely shot down in the split second after he realized the school was under attack.
What is needed are plainclothes guards carrying concealed weapons, people already working at the schools and scattered about the school building and grounds. I would propose that our school boards and school administrators meet with our law enforcement personnel and develop a school reserve officer program using existing school employees.
At least 25 percent of the adults working in our schools each day — administrators, teachers, custodians and school bus drivers — should be fully trained as school reserve officers, working as they normally do in plain clothes, armed with concealed weapons, trained, sworn and commissioned to defend our children in the event of the unthinkable happening.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops