- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Alternative solution to school security
The tragic school invasion at Sandy Hook Elementary School and other murders across America call for a proactive plan of action to protect our children from continued atrocities.
Some schools are talking of hiring police as guards. Unfortunately, the reality is that a uniformed officer openly carrying a gun would be targeted first in an attack by a gun-wielding monster and very likely shot down in the split second after he realized the school was under attack.
What is needed are plainclothes guards carrying concealed weapons, people already working at the schools and scattered about the school building and grounds. I would propose that our school boards and school administrators meet with our law enforcement personnel and develop a school reserve officer program using existing school employees.
At least 25 percent of the adults working in our schools each day — administrators, teachers, custodians and school bus drivers — should be fully trained as school reserve officers, working as they normally do in plain clothes, armed with concealed weapons, trained, sworn and commissioned to defend our children in the event of the unthinkable happening.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse