- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (June 25 - July 1)
“Fellow Times Readers: This one may be injurious to your health! This was a historic week for President Obama.
“Few presidents can claim to have passed major reform legislation and this one will make it into seventh-grade social-studies textbooks. In fact, if we look at the past 100 years, there have been only nine years that have been categorized as major reform years: 1912-1913, 1933-1936, and 1964-1965. It is not a question of whether we like or dislike the legislation, it is that issues were addressed and passed. Firestorms spread in all those years, as they did following President Reagan’s budget and the Supreme Court ratification of the election of George W. Bush. The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) is one of those singular events.
“Of course, there is now an election and the voters will get to decide if this is what they want or not. Thus far, the highest intensity has been with the opposition. It will now be Mr. Obama’s opportunity (or burden) to create a high level of intensity in support of what has been done by his administration, a majority of Congress, and a decision by the Supreme Court. This will be a dramatic issue in a very dramatic election. But for now, this week, the president is winning.”
Last week’s grade: B
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again