- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Sununu: ‘I wish this president would learn how to be an American’
Former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu said Tuesday he wished President Obama “would learn how to be an American” and called the Obama campaign “a bunch of liars” for running an ad that suggested GOP nominee Mitt Romney may not have paid all of his taxes.
The comments came on a conference call hosted by the Romney campaign that featured several small business owners seconding the campaign’s line of attack on the president’s purported “pay to play” economic policies.
Mr. Sununu cited a statement the president made in Roanoke on Friday that successful people and businesses receive help somewhere along the line.
“The president clearly demonstrated that he has absolutely no idea how the economy functions,” he said. “I wish this president would learn how to be an American.”
Mr. Sununu later clarified his comments, saying that “the president has to learn the American formula for creating business” and “creating a climate in which entrepreneurs can thrive.”
As for an Obama ad released Tuesday suggesting that Mr. Romney may not have paid all of his taxes because of his refusal to release more of his returns?
“By definition, in running that ad, the Obama campaign has clearly demonstrated that they are clearly and unequivocally a bunch of liars,” the plainspoken Mr. Sununu, a former White House chief of staff under President George H.W. Bush, said.
Obama campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith responded by saying that the Romney campaign “has officially gone off the deep end.”
“The question is what else they’ll pull to avoid answering serious questions about Romney’s tenure at Bain Capital and investments in foreign tax havens and offshore accounts,” she said. “This meltdown and over-the-top rhetoric won’t make things better. It only calls attention to how desperate they are to change the conversation.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Sherfinski covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senate approves 10-year extension of ban on plastic guns
- Israel's Netanyahu still wary of West's deal with Iran
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Sen. Richard Durbin: No line in the sand on unemployment benefits
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow