- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
Madonna: Singer’s concert in Poland to open with WWII film
WARSAW — Organizers of a Madonna concert in the Polish capital have agreed to a request from city officials to start the show with a brief clip about the Warsaw Uprising, the 1944 revolt against Nazi rule, in a nod to war veterans.
Some veterans and young Catholics have voiced anger that the Aug. 1 concert falls on the 68th anniversary of the uprising.
The 63-day rebellion ended in the deaths of up to 200,000 Poles and the destruction of the city. Every year, the anniversary is marked with somber commemorations, with the wailing of a siren, a minute of silence and special prayers in churches.
City officials proposed airing a clip about the revolt to allay the veterans’ feelings.
“It is an important moment in Polish history, so we have decided to remind people of that moment,” she said.
Poland is a largely Roman Catholic country where some people object to what they consider Madonna’s sacrilegious use of Christian imagery. Madonna’s last concert in Warsaw, in 2009, also sparked protests because it fell on Aug. 15, the holiday celebrating the heavenly assumption of the Virgin Mary.
Several billboards promoting the latest concert were defaced, including some with Madonna’s face crossed out.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again