- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Resort living: Recreation plentiful on 45-acre river estate
If one of the reasons you want to own a vacation home is to share a special place with friends and family, few properties would be better suited to welcoming guests than River Haven Farm.
A 45-acre estate on the Corrotoman River in Weems, Va., the property includes an expansive main house, a guesthouse and a barn. Guests can boat, swim and ride horses.
This luxurious estate, located in the sought-after Northern Neck of Virginia, has complete privacy, with a quarter-mile driveway from the road to the main house.
Boaters and anglers will appreciate the 900 feet of waterfront land, which has stone riprap and a water depth of more than 6 feet at the dock. The dock, built in 2007, has composite decking, electricity, fresh water, storage for a kayak, two Jet Ski power lifts and space for several boats.
Priced at $3,800,000, the estate at 238 Waddy Drive offers an array of resort-style spaces for outdoor living. The 18-by-36-foot swimming pool includes several waterfalls as well as jets that spray water into the pool from the deck. Next to the pool is a wood-burning stone fireplace for cool evenings.
More than 4,000 square feet of granite patio can accommodate a crowd, and the outdoor kitchen includes a barbecue, side burners, a sink, stainless steel storage cabinets and a granite bar. A pergola provides shade above the kitchen.
The grounds also include an outdoor shower and professional landscaping.
The main house, finished in 2006, has a low-maintenance exterior of natural stone and hard-coat stucco with copper accents on the dormer windows and the porch roof. A screened porch offers a secluded spot with a view of the river.
The three-car garage includes storage cabinets, and the house has a private generator and high-tech wiring with speakers, an intercom and a security system. The main house has three heat pumps and three propane-fueled furnaces.
Most of the rooms in this 4,158-square-foot home have river views. Arched doorways, a theme repeated throughout the main level, add distinctive style.
The family room has a 16-foot vaulted ceiling, river view, built-in bookcases and a fireplace. The separate dining room has an 18-foot vaulted ceiling, a river view through an arched picture window, and a fireplace.
The spacious kitchen has a river view, a 10-foot ceiling, a butler’s pantry, granite counters, a farmhouse sink, a prep sink and a breakfast bar. Upgraded appliances include a Sub-Zero refrigerator and refrigerated drawers, a Wolf range and warming drawers and Kitchen-Aid dishwasher drawers.
The adjacent breakfast area includes both river and pool views and has built-in bookcases.
Hardwood flooring extends through most of the house, except for brick flooring in the mudroom and marble flooring in the master bath and closet. The main level also includes a library with a 12-foot ceiling and built-in bookcases and an office with a 12-foot ceiling and river and meadow views. The laundry room and mudroom also are on this level.
The first-floor master suite has a 12-foot ceiling and a two-sided fireplace shared with the luxurious marble bath. The bath has a heated floor, a marble shower and a deep whirlpool tub. The suite also has a room-sized walk-in closet with built-ins, including a marble counter and an ironing center.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.