- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (July 16-22)
“It is very difficult to talk about politics after the tragedy in Aurora, Colo. I join everyone in mourning the loss of lives, futures, families and hope. We are a great people, and somehow we will survive, but this is so senseless.
“The presidential race is frozen at the moment as President Obama is underperforming his 2008 numbers. He won 53 percent of the vote then and is polling an average of about 46 percent now. He is an incumbent in difficult times. But no reason for Republican Mitt Romney to cheer. His average is about where Sen. John McCain was on Election Day 2008 — about 44 percent — and not budging.
“The president can take some solace in the fact that the former Massachusetts governor is refusing calls by some leaders in his own party to release his taxes. Everyone knows he is rich. There has not been even a hint of scandal, so why the ‘principled’ stance that only makes voters who do not know him wonder what he is hiding? This could be when he picks up polling points, and he is not.
“But warning to President Obama: August has been a cruel month for Democrats (Carter, Dukakis, Clinton and Kerry) and yourself. You may want to rethink your vacation plans.”
Last week’s grade: C
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Russia should be booted from FIFA World Cup, senators say
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- MILLER: Donald Trump says hes a Tea Party member
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again