- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (July 16-22)
Question of the Day
“It is very difficult to talk about politics after the tragedy in Aurora, Colo. I join everyone in mourning the loss of lives, futures, families and hope. We are a great people, and somehow we will survive, but this is so senseless.
“The presidential race is frozen at the moment as President Obama is underperforming his 2008 numbers. He won 53 percent of the vote then and is polling an average of about 46 percent now. He is an incumbent in difficult times. But no reason for Republican Mitt Romney to cheer. His average is about where Sen. John McCain was on Election Day 2008 — about 44 percent — and not budging.
“The president can take some solace in the fact that the former Massachusetts governor is refusing calls by some leaders in his own party to release his taxes. Everyone knows he is rich. There has not been even a hint of scandal, so why the ‘principled’ stance that only makes voters who do not know him wonder what he is hiding? This could be when he picks up polling points, and he is not.
“But warning to President Obama: August has been a cruel month for Democrats (Carter, Dukakis, Clinton and Kerry) and yourself. You may want to rethink your vacation plans.”
Last week’s grade: C
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq