- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (June 18-24)
Question of the Day
“President Obama gets upgraded from C to B this week. Last week’s report card came out before any real polling to measure the impact of his news conference announcing that children of illegal immigrants could have, under specific circumstances, a path to staying in the U.S. and citizenship. In the polling done by JZ Analytics, taken last weekend, Mr. Obama jumped to a 4-point lead over presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney — 47 percent to 43 percent.
“His job performance rating stayed at 46 percent, but, more importantly, the policy gave the president a bump of 6 points among Hispanics who support his re-election (to 67 percent; he won 69 percent in 2008) and 18 points among 18-to-29-year-olds (to 64 percent; he won 66 percent in 2008). He now has a majority (53 percent) among moderates and leads among independents 42 percent to 37 percent. These are all numbers that are within striking distance of his 2008 performance.
“By no means do they mean that Mr. Obama has reached a done deal with voters, but they do show what a sitting president can do once he takes a stand that his base (and majority of public opinion) favors.
“The Supreme Court will likely rule this week on the president’s health care reform law and the federal case against Arizona’s controversial immigration law — and that will be reflected in next week’s report card. But for now, like it or not, Mr. Obama has solidified his base.”
Last week’s grade: C
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors