- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
MILLER: Speaker Pelosi redux
What happens to Obamacare if Democrats take back the House
Question of the Day
Speaker John A. Boehner puts the odds of Democrats winning back the House at 1 in 3. While the Ohio Republican may be making things look a bit worse than they are in order to encourage fundraising and turnout on Election Day, he’s still admitting the GOP doesn’t have a lock and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi could retake the speaker’s gavel after just two years on the back bench. That’s a change in course America can’t afford.
Who holds the reins in Washington couldn’t be more important given Thursday’s expected Supreme Court ruling on Obamacare. If the law is thrown out, three-quarters of Americans want new legislation, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll released last week.
It’s unlikely Congress could do anything decisive on health care reform until after the election, so control of the next Congress is critical. Mr. Boehner is ready to do what he can now. “Unless the court throws out the entire law, the House will vote to repeal whatever is left of Obamacare,” the speaker said on Thursday. “Then we need to enact common-sense, step-by-step reforms that protect jobs and protect Americans’ access to the care they need from the doctor they choose at a lower cost.”
If voters give Mr. Obama and Democrats a sweep in November, they’re not going to let Obamacare die without a fight. “The administration has pressed forward with implementing various aspects of the Affordable Care Act and will continue to do so,” said White House spokesman Jay Carney on Monday.
The justices could issue a narrow decision only tossing the individual mandate, in which case, Democrats will have to find another way to pay for Obamacare’s expensive goodies. Mrs. Pelosi has a plan. “To borrow a Supreme Court metaphor, you have to eat your vegetables. You have to have the mandate in order for this to work from a financial standpoint,” the California Democrat explained last week. She wants a “surcharge on the wealthy,” which is code for tax increases, though she didn’t delineate who would be hit by this new levy.
In December 2009, a reporter from CNS News asked Mrs. Pelosi where in the Constitution Congress was granted the authority to legislate an individual health insurance mandate. Then-Speaker Pelosi responded incredulously, “Are you serious? Are you serious?” She retains her optimism, saying on Thursday: “I believe that the court will rule in favor. We’re ironclad constitutionally. We are ironclad on the merits.”
The House Democratic leader proclaimed in March 2010 of the 2,700-page legislation, “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.” Well, that’s exactly what happened, and the public didn’t like what it found. If voters want to rest assured that Obamacare is killed off for good before its third birthday, they should make sure Mrs. Pelosi stays in the minority.
Emily Miller is a senior editor for the Opinion pages at The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine