- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
MILLER: Speaker Pelosi redux
What happens to Obamacare if Democrats take back the House
Question of the Day
Speaker John A. Boehner puts the odds of Democrats winning back the House at 1 in 3. While the Ohio Republican may be making things look a bit worse than they are in order to encourage fundraising and turnout on Election Day, he’s still admitting the GOP doesn’t have a lock and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi could retake the speaker’s gavel after just two years on the back bench. That’s a change in course America can’t afford.
Who holds the reins in Washington couldn’t be more important given Thursday’s expected Supreme Court ruling on Obamacare. If the law is thrown out, three-quarters of Americans want new legislation, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll released last week.
It’s unlikely Congress could do anything decisive on health care reform until after the election, so control of the next Congress is critical. Mr. Boehner is ready to do what he can now. “Unless the court throws out the entire law, the House will vote to repeal whatever is left of Obamacare,” the speaker said on Thursday. “Then we need to enact common-sense, step-by-step reforms that protect jobs and protect Americans’ access to the care they need from the doctor they choose at a lower cost.”
If voters give Mr. Obama and Democrats a sweep in November, they’re not going to let Obamacare die without a fight. “The administration has pressed forward with implementing various aspects of the Affordable Care Act and will continue to do so,” said White House spokesman Jay Carney on Monday.
The justices could issue a narrow decision only tossing the individual mandate, in which case, Democrats will have to find another way to pay for Obamacare’s expensive goodies. Mrs. Pelosi has a plan. “To borrow a Supreme Court metaphor, you have to eat your vegetables. You have to have the mandate in order for this to work from a financial standpoint,” the California Democrat explained last week. She wants a “surcharge on the wealthy,” which is code for tax increases, though she didn’t delineate who would be hit by this new levy.
In December 2009, a reporter from CNS News asked Mrs. Pelosi where in the Constitution Congress was granted the authority to legislate an individual health insurance mandate. Then-Speaker Pelosi responded incredulously, “Are you serious? Are you serious?” She retains her optimism, saying on Thursday: “I believe that the court will rule in favor. We’re ironclad constitutionally. We are ironclad on the merits.”
The House Democratic leader proclaimed in March 2010 of the 2,700-page legislation, “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.” Well, that’s exactly what happened, and the public didn’t like what it found. If voters want to rest assured that Obamacare is killed off for good before its third birthday, they should make sure Mrs. Pelosi stays in the minority.
Emily Miller is a senior editor for the Opinion pages at The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'