- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
MILLER: Speaker Pelosi redux
What happens to Obamacare if Democrats take back the House
Speaker John A. Boehner puts the odds of Democrats winning back the House at 1 in 3. While the Ohio Republican may be making things look a bit worse than they are in order to encourage fundraising and turnout on Election Day, he’s still admitting the GOP doesn’t have a lock and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi could retake the speaker’s gavel after just two years on the back bench. That’s a change in course America can’t afford.
Who holds the reins in Washington couldn’t be more important given Thursday’s expected Supreme Court ruling on Obamacare. If the law is thrown out, three-quarters of Americans want new legislation, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll released last week.
It’s unlikely Congress could do anything decisive on health care reform until after the election, so control of the next Congress is critical. Mr. Boehner is ready to do what he can now. “Unless the court throws out the entire law, the House will vote to repeal whatever is left of Obamacare,” the speaker said on Thursday. “Then we need to enact common-sense, step-by-step reforms that protect jobs and protect Americans’ access to the care they need from the doctor they choose at a lower cost.”
If voters give Mr. Obama and Democrats a sweep in November, they’re not going to let Obamacare die without a fight. “The administration has pressed forward with implementing various aspects of the Affordable Care Act and will continue to do so,” said White House spokesman Jay Carney on Monday.
The justices could issue a narrow decision only tossing the individual mandate, in which case, Democrats will have to find another way to pay for Obamacare’s expensive goodies. Mrs. Pelosi has a plan. “To borrow a Supreme Court metaphor, you have to eat your vegetables. You have to have the mandate in order for this to work from a financial standpoint,” the California Democrat explained last week. She wants a “surcharge on the wealthy,” which is code for tax increases, though she didn’t delineate who would be hit by this new levy.
In December 2009, a reporter from CNS News asked Mrs. Pelosi where in the Constitution Congress was granted the authority to legislate an individual health insurance mandate. Then-Speaker Pelosi responded incredulously, “Are you serious? Are you serious?” She retains her optimism, saying on Thursday: “I believe that the court will rule in favor. We’re ironclad constitutionally. We are ironclad on the merits.”
The House Democratic leader proclaimed in March 2010 of the 2,700-page legislation, “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.” Well, that’s exactly what happened, and the public didn’t like what it found. If voters want to rest assured that Obamacare is killed off for good before its third birthday, they should make sure Mrs. Pelosi stays in the minority.
Emily Miller is a senior editor for the Opinion pages at The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan