- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Dollars & Sense: Bet Dullahan to spoil Triple Crown bid
ELMONT, N.Y. — No one quite knows how fast the Belmont Stakes will be, but Paynter and Unstoppable U figure to be on the lead, at least in the early stages. I’ll Have Another shouldn’t be too far behind.
If jockey Mario Guterriez is able to resist the urge to storm out to the lead too early, a mistake many have made and cost themselves the final jewel of the Triple Crown, then I’ll Have Another stands a great chance of making history.
“He’ll damn sure be in my exacta,” Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said. “I can’t see him being very far out of it, even if he gets beat, really.”
The prevailing opinion is I’ll Have Another is the horse to beat. After impressive victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, that’s the least surprising notion of the week.
I’ll Have Another has the chops to win the Belmont Stakes, and if he does, it will be a remarkable occasion for anyone in attendance or watching on TV. Get your souvenir ticket, but if you want to take a shot at making money if history falls through, bet on Dullahan.
After turning my imaginary $100 into $951.70 at the 2011 Preakness, I took a step back at this year’s race, losing $4. If you’re counting, you’d be up $947.70 if betting with me so far.
I’ve been given an imaginary pot of $100 to wager on the Belmont Stakes. This is how I would use the money:
• $20 to win on Dullahan
• $5 to win on I’ll Have Another
• $5 to win on Union Rags
• $1 exacta I’ll Have Another-All ($11)
• $1 exacta All-I’ll Have Another ($11)
• $2 exacta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 trifecta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 superfecta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($24)
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.