- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
Dollars & Sense: Bet Dullahan to spoil Triple Crown bid
ELMONT, N.Y. — No one quite knows how fast the Belmont Stakes will be, but Paynter and Unstoppable U figure to be on the lead, at least in the early stages. I’ll Have Another shouldn’t be too far behind.
If jockey Mario Guterriez is able to resist the urge to storm out to the lead too early, a mistake many have made and cost themselves the final jewel of the Triple Crown, then I’ll Have Another stands a great chance of making history.
“He’ll damn sure be in my exacta,” Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said. “I can’t see him being very far out of it, even if he gets beat, really.”
I’ll Have Another has the chops to win the Belmont Stakes, and if he does, it will be a remarkable occasion for anyone in attendance or watching on TV. Get your souvenir ticket, but if you want to take a shot at making money if history falls through, bet on Dullahan.
After turning my imaginary $100 into $951.70 at the 2011 Preakness, I took a step back at this year’s race, losing $4. If you’re counting, you’d be up $947.70 if betting with me so far.
I’ve been given an imaginary pot of $100 to wager on the Belmont Stakes. This is how I would use the money:
• $20 to win on Dullahan
• $5 to win on I’ll Have Another
• $5 to win on Union Rags
• $1 exacta I’ll Have Another-All ($11)
• $1 exacta All-I’ll Have Another ($11)
• $2 exacta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 trifecta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 superfecta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($24)
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Sen. Richard Durbin: No line in the sand on unemployment benefits
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!