- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Dollars & Sense: Bet Dullahan to spoil Triple Crown bid
ELMONT, N.Y. — No one quite knows how fast the Belmont Stakes will be, but Paynter and Unstoppable U figure to be on the lead, at least in the early stages. I’ll Have Another shouldn’t be too far behind.
If jockey Mario Guterriez is able to resist the urge to storm out to the lead too early, a mistake many have made and cost themselves the final jewel of the Triple Crown, then I’ll Have Another stands a great chance of making history.
“He’ll damn sure be in my exacta,” Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said. “I can’t see him being very far out of it, even if he gets beat, really.”
The prevailing opinion is I’ll Have Another is the horse to beat. After impressive victories in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, that’s the least surprising notion of the week.
I’ll Have Another has the chops to win the Belmont Stakes, and if he does, it will be a remarkable occasion for anyone in attendance or watching on TV. Get your souvenir ticket, but if you want to take a shot at making money if history falls through, bet on Dullahan.
After turning my imaginary $100 into $951.70 at the 2011 Preakness, I took a step back at this year’s race, losing $4. If you’re counting, you’d be up $947.70 if betting with me so far.
I’ve been given an imaginary pot of $100 to wager on the Belmont Stakes. This is how I would use the money:
• $20 to win on Dullahan
• $5 to win on I’ll Have Another
• $5 to win on Union Rags
• $1 exacta I’ll Have Another-All ($11)
• $1 exacta All-I’ll Have Another ($11)
• $2 exacta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 trifecta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($12)
• $1 superfecta box I’ll Have Another-Dullahan-Street Life-Unstoppable U ($24)
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Supreme Court seems skeptical of Ohio law to police campaign 'lies'
- Kerry accuses Moscow of fomenting Ukraine unrest
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.