- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
HURT: Obama’s ‘common sense’ on guns makes no sense
Question of the Day
President Obama keeps preaching about “common-sense” new federal laws that will end the senseless slaughter of innocents such as the massacre we saw at an elementary school in December.
He keeps tossing around statistics about how 90 percent of Americans embrace these simple new fixes. Eighty percent of those Neanderthal Republicans even agree.
He is talking about “common-sense” ideas such as “universal” background checks for all gun purchases, a ban on “high-capacity” gun clips and again making illegal “assault” rifles that are designed for the battlefield.
These ideas are so “common-sense” that not a one of them would have saved the life of a single child in Newtown, Conn. And for the president and his political operatives to suggest otherwise is not only ignorant and dishonest, but a desecration of the 20 little innocents killed that day by a crazed gunman.
Adam Lanza did not have access to guns because he had skirted background checks. He had access to them because his mother foolishly and recklessly taught him how to use them and allowed him to have access to them. As a parent and a gun owner, she should have known that her son was not stable enough for such recreation.
It is too bad she is dead. Were she alive, she could be prosecuted for her reckless disregard for so many innocent lives.
The problem with universal background checks is that they would make it illegal for a neighbor to sell or give a gun to a neighbor. And what about a responsible parent who buys a gun for his daughter or son when they come of the age and maturity to be trusted with such a huge responsibility? Would that be illegal, too, thus stamping out the single most important relationship to responsible gun ownership?
Another favorite “common-sense” idea from these people is limiting the size of magazine clips. Okay, so 15-round clips are banned but you can still get a 10-round clip. Does that mean these people favor allowing 10 children to be killed, just not 15? Of course, one 10-round clip in each hand means 20 rounds total. So, President Obama, does that mean you are cool with 20 dead children?
In the case of Lanza, the clip sizes were irrelevant anyway, we have since learned. That is because he switched out ammunition clips repeatedly — often without even using all the rounds in each magazine.
Then there is the most commonly repeated “common-sense” idea — also known as a “flat-out lie.”
Despite what these people keep saying, “military-style assault weapons” have been banned in America for decades. Not since the days of Al Capone have fully automatic weapons been legal. And if President Obama and his political henchmen do not understand this, then their rank ignorance should forever silence them in this debate. If they do understand this, then they should be excluded for their willful lying.
These “assault weapons” bans do nothing but prohibit guns based on their cosmetic features. They have nothing to do with the actual functionality of the weapon. Nothing whatsoever.
And if guns are to be banned based solely on their appearance rather than their functionality, then certainly those same guns should be banned in Hollywood for the making of even fictional movies, right? Because if the problem is appearance rather than how the gun functions, the overwhelmingly vast majority of such sightings appear on the big screen — not in some law-abiding guy’s little basement rec room.
The truth is, President Obama and his fellow politicians have no real plan for curbing gun violence. Twenty children were murdered by a psychopath and they smelled blood. And they did what politicians do. They used the poor dead children to push their political agenda.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq