- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
HURT: Obama’s ‘common sense’ on guns makes no sense
Question of the Day
President Obama keeps preaching about “common-sense” new federal laws that will end the senseless slaughter of innocents such as the massacre we saw at an elementary school in December.
He keeps tossing around statistics about how 90 percent of Americans embrace these simple new fixes. Eighty percent of those Neanderthal Republicans even agree.
He is talking about “common-sense” ideas such as “universal” background checks for all gun purchases, a ban on “high-capacity” gun clips and again making illegal “assault” rifles that are designed for the battlefield.
These ideas are so “common-sense” that not a one of them would have saved the life of a single child in Newtown, Conn. And for the president and his political operatives to suggest otherwise is not only ignorant and dishonest, but a desecration of the 20 little innocents killed that day by a crazed gunman.
Adam Lanza did not have access to guns because he had skirted background checks. He had access to them because his mother foolishly and recklessly taught him how to use them and allowed him to have access to them. As a parent and a gun owner, she should have known that her son was not stable enough for such recreation.
It is too bad she is dead. Were she alive, she could be prosecuted for her reckless disregard for so many innocent lives.
The problem with universal background checks is that they would make it illegal for a neighbor to sell or give a gun to a neighbor. And what about a responsible parent who buys a gun for his daughter or son when they come of the age and maturity to be trusted with such a huge responsibility? Would that be illegal, too, thus stamping out the single most important relationship to responsible gun ownership?
Another favorite “common-sense” idea from these people is limiting the size of magazine clips. Okay, so 15-round clips are banned but you can still get a 10-round clip. Does that mean these people favor allowing 10 children to be killed, just not 15? Of course, one 10-round clip in each hand means 20 rounds total. So, President Obama, does that mean you are cool with 20 dead children?
In the case of Lanza, the clip sizes were irrelevant anyway, we have since learned. That is because he switched out ammunition clips repeatedly — often without even using all the rounds in each magazine.
Then there is the most commonly repeated “common-sense” idea — also known as a “flat-out lie.”
Despite what these people keep saying, “military-style assault weapons” have been banned in America for decades. Not since the days of Al Capone have fully automatic weapons been legal. And if President Obama and his political henchmen do not understand this, then their rank ignorance should forever silence them in this debate. If they do understand this, then they should be excluded for their willful lying.
These “assault weapons” bans do nothing but prohibit guns based on their cosmetic features. They have nothing to do with the actual functionality of the weapon. Nothing whatsoever.
And if guns are to be banned based solely on their appearance rather than their functionality, then certainly those same guns should be banned in Hollywood for the making of even fictional movies, right? Because if the problem is appearance rather than how the gun functions, the overwhelmingly vast majority of such sightings appear on the big screen — not in some law-abiding guy’s little basement rec room.
The truth is, President Obama and his fellow politicians have no real plan for curbing gun violence. Twenty children were murdered by a psychopath and they smelled blood. And they did what politicians do. They used the poor dead children to push their political agenda.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors