- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
Isabelle Huppert: French actress takes on role of mother superior in ‘The Nun’
Question of the Day
BERLIN (AP) — A new adaptation of writer Denis Diderot’s 18th-century novel “The Nun” is making its debut at the Berlin International Film Festival, featuring French star Isabelle Huppert as a convent’s mother superior.
The movie, directed by Guillaume Nicloux, is one of 19 competing for the Berlin festival’s top Golden Bear honor.
The story centers on a young woman, played by Belgian actress Pauline Etienne, forced by her family to enter a convent, where she suffers harassment.
Miss Huppert’s long list of credits includes “The Piano Player” and “Madame Bovary.”
She said ahead of the new film’s premiere Sunday that her latest role offered the challenge of avoiding caricature.
“It was very easy to go behind the caricature,” she said. “She’s a superior mother, but she has nothing superior.”
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
- Bill Maher blames Hamas for Gaza violence: 'Do you really expect the Israelis not to retaliate?'
- HUMPHRIES: 'Hes the Worst President in 70 Years'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq