- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Gun-free zone: Comcast cable blacklists gun-related ads
Comcast Spotlight, the advertising and sales division for Comcast Cable, has halted all ads having to do with guns on its nationwide network.
"Comcast Spotlight has decided it will not accept new advertising for firearms or weapons moving forward," the company said in a statement.
"This policy aligns us with the guidelines in place at many media organizations."
This month, Comcast acquired NBC Universal in a $16.7 billion deal reported by Media Decoder.
NBC Universal had a longstanding policy against accepting advertisements related to guns, according to a report from an ABC affiliate in Michigan.
Gun owners and gun shops have been caught off guard by the new policy.
"I thought it was ridiculous, we are a legitimate business, we have been here for 80 years," said Tom Wright, the owner for Williams Gun Sight shop in Davison, Mich., after he was denied advertising on the cable company, ABC reported.
"There's no reason why we can't promote what we believe in and something that's guaranteed under the Second Amendment."
Other gun shop owners and Second Amendment supporters are outraged. One, in the ABC report, called Comcast's blacklisting of gun advertisements a "direct infringement on our constitutional rights."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.