- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Obama asks Congress for short-term budget fix
WASHINGTON — President Obama is urging Congress to pass a smaller set of spending cuts and tax changes while they hash out a broader budget deal.
Lawmakers face a March 1 deadline when automatic, across-the-board spending cuts, already postponed once, take effect.
In his weekly radio and Internet address, Obama says he still wants a comprehensive package that deals with the debt. But he says that takes time. He’s asking lawmakers to move forward with a short-term deal as they continue working on a longer-term solution.
He says if the cuts aren’t averted, the military, middle-class families and the economy could suffer.
In the Republican address, Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska says the U.S. must ramp up domestic energy production by streamlining regulations, investing in research and approving the Keystone XL pipeline.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.