- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Trade Representative Kirk to leave administration by end of Feb.
Mr. Kirk’s departure was widely expected after he said last year that he was planning to leave and return to his native Texas.
As trade representative, Mr. Kirk was responsible for developing and recommending American trade policy to the president.
In a statement, the former Dallas mayor said serving Mr. Obama was his “greatest professional privilege.”
“Together, we have made great strides to bring about the president’s vision of a more robust, responsible and responsive trade policy that opens markets to products stamped ‘Made-in-America’ and enforces Americans’ trade rights around the world — and does so in a way that is more consistent with America’s core values on issues like the rights of workers and the environment.”
The departure of Mr. Kirk, who is black, comes as critics have raised questions about Mr. Obama’s commitment to diversity after the first set of second-term appointments have all been white men.
During his tenure, Mr. Kirk helped shepherd long-term trade agreements between the United States and South Korea, Colombia, and Panama — which originated during George W. Bush’s presidency.
“There’s no question Ron delivered results for the American people and for our economy,” Mr. Obama wrote in a statement. “From bringing home new trade agreements with Korea, Colombia and Panama and negotiating to open up new markets for American businesses, to cracking down on unfair trade practices around the world, he has been a tremendous advocate for the American worker.”
Mr. Kirk also led the administration’s effort to bring cases before the World Trade Organization that accused China of unfair trade practices. Among them were charges of imposing heavy tariffs on imports of U.S. automobiles, auto parts and steel.
His office also joined the European Union and Japan in accusing China of limiting its exports of rare earth minerals, which are used to manufacture hybrid car batteries, flat-screen televisions and other high tech products.
He is the latest member of Mr. Obama’s economic team to announce his departure. Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner and Labor Secretary Hilda L. Solis have also announced they are leaving. The president has nominated Jacob Lew to replace Mr. Geithner at Treasury.
• This article based in part on wire service reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Susan Crabtree is an award-winning investigative reporter with more than 15 years of reporting experience in Washington, D.C. Her reporting about bribery, corruption and conflict-of-interest issues on Capitol Hill has led to several FBI and ethics investigations, as well as consequences for members within their caucuses and at the ballot box. Susan can be reached at email@example.com.
- GOP senators want IG probe of Sebelius' 'Obamacare' fundraising
- Teaming up with Christie, Obama says Jersey shore 'back in business'
- No Moore: Obama flubs name of Oklahoma city devastated by tornado, calls it 'Monroe'
- Obama to Okla. tornado victims: 'We have got your back'
- Amid his own challenges, Obama calls on Navy grads to hold themselves accountable
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Vice reporter Simon Ostrovsky being held by east Ukraine militants: report
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.