- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Union membership sees sharp decline
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that union membership rates have fallen off sharply in the past year, from 11.8 percent of the workforce to 11.3 percent.
This is the lowest level since the 1930s, BLS finds.
In terms of head counts, union membership has fallen by 400,000 workers to 14.4 million, the Associated Press reports.
Hardest hit? Teachers unions, according to the report.
Labor union membership peaked in the 1950s, with about one-third of all workers in the United States claiming affiliation. But unions have faced a backlash lately, as cash-strapped states face financial woes, exacerbated by pension promises. And unions also have lost power.
Just last week, the U.S. Court of Appeals in Chicago reversed a lower court ruling that would have favored unions in Wisconsin. The issue in brief: Gov. Scott Walker signed legislation in 2011 restricting collective bargaining rights of some public unions in the state. A lower court ruled that provision was unconstitutional. On Jan. 18, the federal court upheld the law.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.