- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Selfies at Funerals blog creator retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Tea partyers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wrong pick for RNC chairman
Question of the Day
Reince Priebus has been re-elected as Republican National Committee chairman (“Priebus overwhelmingly wins second term at RNC,” Web, Friday)? You’ve got to be kidding. The attendees at the recent meeting in Charlotte, N.C., cited appalling statistics about the Republican Party’s current inability to attract women and minorities — and then it re-elected Mr. Priebus.
How about considering a woman to lead the Republican Party? Better yet, perhaps a highly articulate minority woman who is familiar with what the policies in Washington are doing to families, their finances and their children’s education. Let us have a woman who can motivate not only the electorate but maybe shame our dysfunctional Congress into spending less by cutting the pork and making choices — the way families do. We cannot have it all.
Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1930s and Lyndon Johnson’s “guns and butter” in the 1960s only added to our problems. However, we must deal with the status quo, and it isn’t pretty. Our national woes need to be dealt with effectively, and the Republican Party can do it — with the right leadership.
CAROL F. JOHNSON
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death