- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Union struggles lead Goodyear to close plant in France
U.S. tire maker Goodyear said it was closing its northern France plant and laying off 1,173 workers after lengthy discussions with union representatives ended in failure.
“Closing the factory is the only option after five years of unsuccessful negotiations,” said Goodyear Dunlop Tires France in a statement reported by Agence France-Presse. The company could not remain profitable in the face of union demands and weaker product demand, according to the report.
Company Chairman Henry Dumortier expressed condolences for workers and their families.
“We are deeply disappointed that five years of negotiations were not enough to reach a compromise with representatives of workers at Amiens Nord,” he said in the AFP report. “Today’s announcement was the only option left to us.”
The decision to shut the factory is a political hit for President Francois Hollande, who toured the factory during his campaign and called for more workers’ rights, AFP reported. Meanwhile, Amiens Mayor Gilles Demailly, a Socialist, called Goodyear’s decision “unacceptable” and called for meetings with the country’s industrial renewal minister to talk about this “national issue,” AFP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.