- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Benghazi inaction callous, calculated
Question of the Day
Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin is right to contend that the top issue demanding congressional investigation is the failure by the Obama administration to deploy military aid in an effort to save the lives of four Americans in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012 (“Congress asking the wrong questions on Benghazi,” Dec. 25).
The answer to Gen. Boykin’s question should be apparent. No military forces were deployed in a rescue attempt because the White House, probably the president himself, decided not to dispatch available military resources. The question, then, is why didn’t the president take the necessary military action to rescue the besieged Americans? Here, the White House can only offer excuses, the main one being that there was not enough time for armed military forces to have arrived in order to have make a difference. That excuse and all of the others proffered by the White House simply don’t cut it.
Fighter jets could have been over the target in less than one hour after the terrorist assault began. Marines in Tripoli could have been in Benghazi in less than four hours. Fully equipped special forces just 400 miles from Benghazi were available at a base in Sicily. Finally, there was a military surveillance drone over the consulate for most of the battle, including the seventh hour when the terrorists were setting up a mortar unit used to kill the former Navy SEALs. Had that drone been armed with laser-guided missiles, it could have knocked out that mortar site, because Tyrone Woods had a laser that he used to illuminate the target.
In the end, Mr. Obama, sadly, thought more of his political skin than he did of the lives of the besieged Americans.
HARRISON E. MCCANDLISH
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- SOWELL:Bordering on immigration madness
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis