- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama’s historic spending
Question of the Day
President Obama has successfully diverted discussion of the unanswerable question of fairness away from a frank conversation about spending (“Obama’s checkmate,” Commentary, Thursday).
Under the Obama administration, outlays have grown to 24.4 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) from a post-1950 average of 19.8 percent. Outside of World War II, never have we spent so much for so long. Spending under Presidents Bush and Clinton averaged 19.8 percent of GDP. Compare spending 24.4 percent with tax collections that, except for World War II and the dot-com boom (when they peaked at 20.6 percent), have never been higher than 19.7 percent, regardless of tax rates. Tax receipts during Mr. Obama’s tenure are just 15.4 percent of GDP, below the 17.9 percent average since 1950.
Instead of an honest policy debate, there is a false narrative that the Bush-era tax cuts were unfair when they actually made rates more progressive. The top 1 percent under George W. Bush paid 37 percent of personal income taxes (up from 32.75 percent under Mr. Clinton), the top 10 percent paid 68.4 percent under Mr. Bush (up from 63 percent under Mr. Clinton). The bottom 50 percent paid 3.23 percent under Mr. Bush (down from 4.36 percent under Mr. Clinton).
It would be wise to focus on the government’s unsustainable spending rather then an illusory solution in the name of tax fairness.
ADAM B. DAVIS
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling