- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Topic - Mardi Gras
), "Mardi Gras season", and "Carnival season", in English, refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and ending on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" (in ethnic English tradition, Shrove Tuesday), referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which started on Ash Wednesday. Related popular practices were associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent. Popular practices included wearing masks and costumes, overturning social conventions, dancing, sports competitions, parades, etc. Similar expressions to Mardi Gras appear in other European languages sharing the Christian tradition. In English, the day is called Shrove Tuesday, associated with the religious requirement for confession before Lent begins. - Source: Wikipedia
Rapides Parish public schools students can expect 20 extra minutes of class time for a few more weeks this spring, thanks to another ice day.
New Orleans' latest call for someone to take on the redevelopment of the blighted former Six Flags theme park received just one response.
Orleans Parish Sheriff Marlin N. Gusman says there were 895 arrests during the 2014 Mardi Gras season that started Feb. 21 and ended Tuesday.
An effort to recall Port Allen Councilman-at-Large R.J. Loupe has failed.
The merriment of Mardi Gras has ended and the solemn season of Lent has begun Wednesday.
New Orleans police are investigating an overnight double homicide.
Christians on Wednesday headed into 46 days of Lent, the sacrificial lead-up to Easter -- just a few hours after the revelry of Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, left two dead by gun fire in a parking lot in New Orleans.
Revelers endured winter temperatures and a chilling rain along parade routes Tuesday as New Orleans' 2014 Carnival season neared a close.
Alabama's coast was alive with parades and parties for Fat Tuesday celebrations despite cool, damp weather as the Mardi Gras season came to an end.
The city of Havre de Grace says it's postponing its Mardi Gras parade due to lingering snow and ice from Monday's winter storm.
The St. Louis College of Pharmacy is offering $10,000 for information in the shooting death of a student.
Skies were gray, temperatures were chilly, and there was some rain.
New Orleans police say a 9-year-old boy was hospitalized in stable condition after being struck by a Mardi Gras float, and a police officer responding to the call suffered a broken leg when he slipped on revelers' beads.
The North Bay Mardi Gras parade continues to grow with each year.
The Gulf Coast Carnival Association parade is the biggest Mardi Gras party on Fat Tuesday in south Mississippi.